Wednesday, February 23, 2011

How To Survive NYC If You're From California (Or Any Other Sunshine State)

Roaming the streets of the LES or Lower East Side for the non-New Yorkers this past weekend with one of my closest girlfriends, we found ourselves discussing our mutual likes and dislikes of living and working in NYC in your 20's. Yes, it's expensive, and of course it gets rigidly cold this time of year making the daily commute that much longer. What I found interesting however, is that many of my friends dislikes are some of my biggest likes. I actually enjoy taking the subway. While it's not always ideal and can often times smell like putrid broccoli mold (pending on the line,) there is something to be said about only paying $80 for an unlimited metro-card and being able to travel to all of the five boroughs at any time of day. And yes, it's crowded. This city is not claustrophobia friendly as everywhere you go and everything you do, you know, without a doubt that you will be surrounded by people, mass amounts of people. Learning how to navigate though it, knowing where to go and how to escape the 'it', these are the tricks to harness your inner-New Yorker, and that first day that you're able to give a stranger directions and which train-lines will get them there fastest, well it's a proud moment and the first indication that you are no longer a tourist.

Personally, I think if you are able and have the opportunity to live in a city like NY at my age, it is really a phenomenal experience, but it can also be a lot to handle and you have to know what you're getting yourself into.

As a native Californian turned collegiate Coloradan to now local New Yorker (side-note; most NY'ers do NOT consider you native until you've lived on or tangent to the island of Manhattan for a minimum of ten-years or so says my favorite bouncer) I feel I know a thing or two about what it takes to make the transition to the big bad pineapple.Of course all of this is completely subjective to my personal experience, however after doing some preliminary research on this subject and coming up short, I figure this outline could help serve the future generation of Californian's who come to this amazing city in the hopes of making it home.

Of course my story and the inherent love affair that followed, began years ago when a young and slightly naive California girl visited and fell in love with New York on Valentines Day weekend in 2002. After spending the better half of one of the worst winter blizzards New York has ever seen indoors, I immediately knew that when I graduated college I would make this great metropolis my home. I think I knew it before I visited, but the idea of a big city filled with endless possibility filled my imagination to the brim. I loved the idea of anonymity (I still do) and being one of  millions. I have to admit, it hasn't all been sunshine and rainbows, there have been just as many trials and tribulations as there have been triumphs, but that's life right? Enjoy my survival guide below, in list form of course, you know how I love my lists.

1. Learn the Layout- NYC is a pretty simple grid, and once you get a handle on the east/west and uptown/ downtown you'll be in good shape. I think the best way to really learn your way around is to get lost! NYC is one of the greatest cities to take a stroll in, and each of the neighborhoods are so diverse, you won't be disappointed. Sometimes going off the grid is the best way to really understand it.

2. Find the right apartment- This is important. NYC is a crazy place and can often times be overwhelming. I know this one seems pretty obvious, but it is super important to have a safe and comfortable place to come home to. Once you've lived in NY for a while, you discover which areas you like better than others and where you're most comfortable. This means different things to different people. If you would prefer to live somewhere where its more lively and there are more bars and restaurants per square foot than (xxx) then you might prefer living below 14th street in the East or West Village. If you're looking for something a little ore residential, then Upper West Side is probably for you. Somewhere in between would be Upper East Side which provides a nice balance between nightlife and solitude. You learn as you go, which can make the first year all the more difficult..This leads me to the next one.

3. Give it At Least 1 Year- They say the first year is the toughest. I don't know exactly who 'they' are, but I definitely agree that this seems to be true. It is a major transition moving to any major city and you really have to allow yourself an adequate amount of time to adjust. Weather plays a major factor in this- especially if you're coming from warmer climates. That first winter can be brutal and often times off-putting. the first step is acceptance, the second is getting yourself and nice big winter coat. North face are pretty good.

4. Find your Niche- This is important and something I wish I had done sooner. It's nice to have friends in a city as big as New York, and finding the right social circles can make the city seem smaller. I think activities like joining a sports-team- they have anything from bowling and kickball to trivia team night, is a good way to branch out and meet new people. Zog Sports is a good one, as is New York Social Club. Many of these teams, depending on the level of seriousness, spend social hour at the bar intermediately following games.

5. Get a Job! This is a good one. But very important. Some people say you have to make a minimum of 100k to be able to live 'comfortably' in NYC. I don't believe this to be true, and I certainly don't make anything close to that figure (yet) but it certainly does make things easier. Between the exorbitant rent and food prices alone, the cost of living here can be quite tedious. You need to come in with some kind of financial plan and budget out the costs. If you've managed to secure a steady job beforehand then you should good shape.

6. Get Acquainted- Once you've settled in and are brave enough to explore the big bad apple, its good to know whats around you. There are thousands of restaurants in NYC, it truly a culinary delight. And museums, parks, I truly believe there is an activity for everybody here. Pick up a copy of Time Out or New York Mag or visit their websites http://newyork.timeout.com/ or http://nymag.com Both sites proved a plethora of information for things to do morning, noon or night and in any borough.

1 comment:

SanDiegoEatOutorEatHome said...

Love your discourse on being young and making the most out of living in New York. Great piece!